Friday, July 12, 2013

Do songs remind you of books? (Part 2)

A while back I did a post in which I told you about certain songs that remind me of certain books. Well I'm back with that post!


Some time ago I read Dare You To by Katie McGarry. And I thought that Catch Me by Demi Lovato really explained Beth's feelings in the book.


The lyrics go like:

Before I fall too fast
Kiss me quick but make it last
So I can see how badly this will hurt me when you say goodbye

I think these lines really portray how Beth is insecure. She doesn't want love because her heart has been broken but she needs it and she knows it. She feels that Ryan, like everyone else in her life, will leave her too. So she's like, let's have a small fling and get it over with before I fall in love with you.

But you're so hypnotizing
You've got me laughing while I sing
You've got me smiling in my sleep
And I can see this unraveling
Your love is where I'm falling 
But please don't catch me

These lines tell you how Beth starts falling in love with Ryan. How he makes her so so happy. But she's still afraid. That's why she tells him not to catch her.

See this heart won't settle down
Like a child running scared from a clown
I'm terrified of what you do
My stomach screams just when I look at you

Run far away so I can breathe
Even though you're far from suffocating me
I can't set my hopes too high 
'Cause every 'Hello' ends with a 'Goodbye'

These lines, I feel, reinforce the idea of Beth being scared and insecure. She's afraid of falling in love. That's why she runs away. She can't set her hopes too high 'cause all her life her 'hellos' have ended with 'goodbyes'. And she doesn't want that to happen with Ryan.

So now you see why I'm scared
I can't open up my heart without a care
But here I go, it's what I feel
And for the first time in my life I know it's real

This point reflects when Ryan gets to know the truth about Beth. And she's starting to accept Ryan. She's like, so now you know that this is the reason I can't open up my heart. But she's also accepting herself that she loves Ryan and it's real this time. 

If this is love please don't break me
I'm giving up so just catch me

These are the ending lines of the song which I think correspond to the end of the book. Beth now trusts Ryan. And she says that I'm trusting you so please don't break me. She's falling in love with him but this time she's giving up fighting it and she's letting him catch her.

So... what do you think? If you've read Dare You To, do you think this song seems like it's about that book? Have you ever heard a song that reminded you of a book? Comment below, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post!!!!!! I'm a HUGE fan of Katie McGarry and I loved Beth and Ryan so bad..

    This is such a great idea for a post and now I hunt this song down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love Katie McGarry too!! She's one of my favorite authors! And I love this song so much! You should definitely check it out!

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :D

      Delete

Hey! I really appreciate that you're commenting! I love comments! And trust me, I read and reply each and every one of them! So check back soon to see my reply!
Please don't use bad words. Don't curse or swear. And don't spam!
Thank you for commenting! Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...