Thursday, May 24, 2012

Book Review~P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern

Title: P.S. I Love You
Author: Cecelia Ahern
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publish Date: 2007 (first published December 29th 2004) 
ISBN: 978-0-00-726308-0
Pages: 503
Links: Goodreads ~ Amazon

Summary: Some people wait their whole lives to find their soul mates. But not Holly and Gerry. They were childhood sweethearts-no one could imagine Holly and Gerry without each other. Until the unthinkable happens. Gerry's death devastates Holly. But as her 30th birthday looms Holly discovers that Gerry has left her a bundle of notes, gently guiding her into her new life without him, each signed 'PS, I Love You'. With some help from her friends, and her nosy and loving family, Holly finds herself laughing, crying, singing, dancing-and being braver than ever before. Life is for living, she realizes-but it always helps if there's an angel watching over you.

Rating: 8.5/10
Source: Bought

Cover Talk: I am aware that this is not the real cover of the book and this is a picture from the movie but this is the cover of the version I have and honestly, I'm loving this cover! My favorite color is blue and the cover's theme color is also blue plus it's that light sky-blue shade which is really soothing to the eyes. I love the picture of Hilary (Holly) lying on the letters and Gerard (Gerry) watching over her like an angel/ghost. I love the font used for "P.S. I love you" 'cause it really looks hand-written ad I like the fact that it's not written in blue but red or else it would've been too much blue. All in all it's a great cover. There's one more cover which I love:

My Thoughts: This book was a mixture of emotions. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me angry, it made me sad. It was such a bittersweet book. And I loved every bit of it! 

Writing: I liked Cecelia's writing. It was light but it still touched the reader's heart. It was capturing and she described things really.... perfectly. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of this author's work (this was the first book I read by Cecelia). As a debut novel this was pretty amazing.

Story: The plot and the story were great. It was unique and I liked how it wasn't totally revolved around Holly getting a new guy. It was more about Gerry helping Holly move on with her life. It showed that true love never dies and Gerry did love Holly very much! I just wish that there was a sequel to this book. I would like to know what happens to Holly afterwards. 

Characters: There were so many characters in this book and each and every character contributed something to it. I must say, though Holly was a great character, she was not my favorite. Actually I'm not sure I have a favorite character. But I really enjoyed and adored Holly's family. I loved Ciara and her quirkiness, Richard and how he changed from annoying to likable, her Mom and how much she resembled me mom! Other than that I loved seeing Holly's transformation. At first I didn't really like Daniel, but then I started liking him and till I reached the end I just didn't care about him anymore. Holly's friends were also amazing! All in all the characters were well-built and each had it's own unique voice.

Negatives: There weren't many 'negatives' in the book. The only thing that kinda irritated me was that in the beginning the book moved slowly but by the time it reached the end everything was happening really quickly and it became fast-paced. I would have liked it if the pace of the book had been normal through out.

Movie: I watched the movie long before reading the book and I didn't like it. My opinion still didn't change after reading the book. It wasn't a good movie and it definitely didn't do the book justice. So if you want my advice, read the book but skip the movie. It was so not worthwhile.
 

10 comments:

  1. Cecilia Ahern makes a splash with "PS, I Love You," a surprisingly charming debut about grief, love, family and struggling to move on with life. While Ahern needs to polish up her writing, she has plenty of raw talent, and a good grasp on her quirky characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s i love you is one of the best books that i have ever read. it made me cry, smile and laugh. I loved reading the transformation, of how Holly was at the begging of the book and at the end. This novel really captivates you in to reading more. you cant put the book down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was really great! however i can honestly say that the book was so much better than film. the amount of detail that Cecelia added is amazing. hope to see Cecelia writing another book soon. she has real talent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not cry easily but this book absolutely made me cry like im in Holly's place. It was such a great book. and because of this i wanna read every novel of Cecilia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Hi :) i Need some help please!! I haven't finish the book but I have to write a book report until Wednesday! Please help me and answer me some questions, thank you very much :-)
    1) setting
    2) character of Gerry, Denise and Sharon
    3) important events

    Thanks a lot :-)"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow... Umm, it's been a while since I've read the book so I don't really remember much. I think you'll be better off asking someone else to help you.. Sorry!

      Delete
  7. Please help me for writing the character sketch of the members of Holly's family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's seriously been so long since I read this book. I'm sorry but I think you will be much better off asking someone else for help.

      Delete
  8. While I was reading the book,I missed my dad and started being emotional.Really loved it ey

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I really appreciate that you're commenting! I love comments! And trust me, I read and reply each and every one of them! So check back soon to see my reply!
Please don't use bad words. Don't curse or swear. And don't spam!
Thank you for commenting! Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...