Saturday, November 26, 2011

Review-Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets


Title: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Author: J.K. Rowling
Publisher: Scholastic
Publish Date: 2nd June 1999 (first published on 1st January 1998)
ISBN: 0439064864 (ISBN13: 9780439064866)
Edition Language: English
Series: Harry Potter # 2
Goodreads            Amazon

Summary: Ever since Harry Potter had come home for the summer, the Dursleys had been so mean and hideous that all Harry wanted was to get back to the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature who says that if Harry returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.

And strike it does. For in Harray's secong year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and horrors arise, including an outrageously stuck-up new professor and a spirit who haunts the girl's bathroom. But then the real trouble begins-someone is turning Hogwarts students to stone. Could it be Draco Malfoy, a more poisonous rival than ever? Could it possibly be Hagrid, whose mysterious past is finally told? Or could it be the one everyone at Hogwarts most suspects.............Harry Potter himself!

Rating: 10/10

My thoughts: Harry Potter. Enough said. Do I even have to review this brilliant book?

I loved it! And that about summarizes the way I feel about this book. I'll talk one by one about various aspects of the book so I can analyze them better.

First up, characters. I love the characters! They are believable and true (even if they are witches and wizards). Ginny's character at times irritated me. Not that it wasn't portrayed well or anything. People like that in real life irritate me too. I like a strong, independent female (like Hermoine) rather than a weak, always crying one (like Ginny). But J.K. Rowling showed Ginny really well as girls like Ginny do act the way Ginny does. Now, Gildroy Lockhart. I simply love to hate this guy! Why? I think anybody who has read/watched Harry Potter would know why. But I would never want him not to be in the books! He added a kind of charm and comedy to the book which wouldn't have been there if he wouldn't have existed. 


Then comes the plot. Oh how I wish I wouldn't have watched the movie before reading the book! But the book explained me a lot things which I couldn't comprehend from the movie. I don't think I need to say anything more about the plot as we all know it is flawless!

I hate reading books with complicated English as English is not my first language so I don't know it very well. At least not those medieval words! I like that Rowling used simple, readable English. Her writing is beautiful as well as capturing. I like how she builds up the suspense. Her use of humor is genius and I laughed out loud at many occasions! 

The problem mainly with series is that the author starts explaining the previous book and it just starts irritating  the reader. I don't know if it happens with you, but if the author starts explaining the previous book and tells the whole story continuously for 2-3 pages, it just gets on my nerves and I'm like "I've read the previous book! Could you please get on with the story!" And sometimes the author doesn't tell about the previous book at all, just mentions a few needed things and that's it. I don't like that either because then I have to work my brain and remember what was in the previous book which takes out the fun in reading that book. HP2 did not have any of this. J.K Rowling told the previous story in bits and pieces only where it was needed. This helped me remember what happened in the previous book and side by side I could also enjoy this book!

I think that's pretty much it. Overall, I think this book is perfect for all ages!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I really appreciate that you're commenting! I love comments! And trust me, I read and reply each and every one of them! So check back soon to see my reply!
Please don't use bad words. Don't curse or swear. And don't spam!
Thank you for commenting! Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...